Some additional "Seasoning"

Monday, May 5, 2008

Matthew 5:13-16 (Msg)
- The words of Jesus


Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.


Philippians 2:14-16 (Msg)
- The words of Paul


Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing.

I had some additional thoughts coming from these two passages. First, let's look at Jesus. He's laying down the purpose of a Christ follower. We are supposed to bring out the "God-colors" and "God-flavors" all around us. This is tough at times. Especially if the work day is rough, or if you're around people who look at things negatively. This is where we have to be the exception to the circumstances happening around us and be "light-bearers."

I love how Jesus says to be generous with our lives. It can be tiring to do this, especially when it comes to relationships. I have a problem with negative people due to their perspective and outlook on life. Some people can't seem to find the good that's happening all around them. This is where I get off track. I lose my focus because I get irritated. It's tough to say...you know what...I'm not going to worry about them. I admit that I too can be negative. This negativity just stirs things up and brings people down. That isn't what Jesus talks about.

Now, it must be a choice to keep a bigger perspective on things and to let some of the little stuff slide. My teacher side talking...Yes, kids can create chaos and disruption in the classroom, but as I teach I'm going to love 'em. I may be the only love, respect, safety, etc. that these kids encounter. I've got to make the choice to treat them respectfully, regardless of behavior or attitude. This is how I must treat everything else. I want to reflect God's love, mercy, grace...etc. as much as I can. People are beat up emotionally, spiritually, mentally...and even physically and we can be totally unaware. I need to be generous with my life...family, work, social lives....

Notice how both passages refer to light in darkness. The second passage from Paul is something that has been sticking with me during this busy time. I need to go about my day cheerfully and readily. No bickering. I try and use these things as filters as I go throughout my day. I find that I start heading the wrong direction ALOT and need redirection...but I guess that's why these passages have been constantly present in my thoughts.

Okay...go out into the world as a breath of fresh air. This is a way to battle the negativity that can come from circumstances and people. It seems like people can get stuck in a rut. I've been there. It's my job, duty, calling...to make sure that I'm a breath of fresh air to the circumstances and people that I come into direct contact with. The news in the morning is very negative. That stuff I can't change usually, and I shouldn't let it affect my attitude when it comes to people and circumstances. Therefore, I've stopped watching the morning news. This helps keep me positive as I begin my day. It also helps if the sun is shining ;)

My "usual suspects" in the classroom can be very negative. Co-workers can be negative as they are dealing with the same busyness at this point in the year. I need to remember that there is a bigger perspective present and that I must reflect the change that I say has happened in my life. Am I carrying a light-giving message into the night? Am I bringing out the God-colors/flavors out in my life?

God, thanks for everything. You've blessed me with so much. Continue to push me to be a breath of fresh air, seasoning with my life. Thanks for Sarala and the miracles you've done with her.


Wow, this ended up being a lot more than I thought it was going to be...off to bed.

0 comments: