Add a little "Seasoning"

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
- Matthew 5:13-16


In Matthew, Jesus talks about being the "salt of the earth." Now, I admit that I had a hard time understanding exactly what this meant. Recently I've been getting into the Message/Remix Bible, which is a paraphrase. I look at myself as one who can usually study and figure stuff out if I don't understand it. The salt thing just never connected until I read the Message paraphrase. It basically lines out why we're here. I love the picture that these passages portray You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. This happens in how our lives are lived. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?

Our lives are what will point people towards God. It's not about me. This reality keeps me headed in the right direction. There's a question that I try and stay conscience of: am I loving God and loving people? This has caused a change in my perspective when it comes to daily life. The aspects of my life that include work, family, and the social part have been drastically changed because of this. I need to reflect love as much as possible. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing. The hardest part of all of this for me is the forgiveness deal. But then, I've got to remember how Christ has covered me and I am getting what I don't deserve.

Circumstances in life can get crazy. Life gets to me sometimes. I know I seem like I'm easy-going, which I usually am, but I can get tired and testy at times. That's when I say things I don't mean, things I wish I could take back, and do things that I regret. These are the times that I'm thankful for grace and the fact that God loves me regardless of myself. Now, it's a matter of me trying to keep open house; be generous with your lives. God has blessed me with so much. Why wouldn't I want to go public with this?

0 comments: