Toddlers Shout the Songs...

Thursday, July 3, 2008



Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
toddlers shout the songs
That drown out enemy talk,
and silence atheist babble.

I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
your handmade sky-jewelry,
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do you bother with us?
Why take a second look our way?
Psalm 8:2-4

I look at these two pictures and this passage from Psalms hit me. Sarala has quite the story...which I'm in the process of putting into a book form, so if you don't know it...ask me sometime...it still brings tears to my eyes...the awesomeness of how everything went...and IS going down. God took care of her during her months in the NICU in San Francisco...when she wasn't with us. I look at what her medical history says she should be doing and then I look at what she IS doing now...and loving it. She can be loud sometimes...well...a lot of the time. I love it though. "Toddlers shout the songs that drown out enemy talk, and silence atheist babble."

How can you look at a child like Sarala...get to know her history...and not acknowledge the presence of God. It's hard to stay negative or sad while she's around. She, as all small children do, points to something greater than ourselves...holding us together. The joyful laughter, squeals of joy, singing as I strum my guitar or when we're listening to music...I love it all.

Then...as I was driving home from playing music in Fred-town last weekend...the evidence of something greater was in front of me as I listened to music that complimented the visual...amazing.

So...pay attention to what's around you...the beautiful in the everyday. The skies and the wonder of a child's eyes are great examples. We've got a Creator that loves us...knows us...pursues us. He's big. He's listening. It's up to us to connect...get in tune with what He's got in store...real life.

1 comments:

Jo said...

Once again an awesome post. You definately have a way of writing things that I need to read.