Oh Stop It...!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:13-16

The words of Jesus are pretty amazing. I say "are" because they are relevant today...living...now. I start with this because I'm struggling. The start to my year isn't anything like I envisioned. We just celebrated...unofficially I guess...my baby girl's 2nd birthday. The "actual" b-day party is taking place on Thursday at 6:30 pm at Fort Davidson Park in Pilot Knob...so if you're around and want some "Elmo's World" cake...?

Okay...back to what I was saying...Should be a glorious day right...? It is...but then there's a lot of other things going on that cloud my mind. I'm trying not to focus on negative things but it's gotten the best of me lately. For example...I found myself sitting at the lunch table adding to the negativity on Tuesday. Seriously? Yes! Stupid! This isn't like me. I don't do this...what the heck? Somehow I'm letting things get to me that normally don't bother me. Hmmm....

So...as I thought about it...I need to keep the "big" picture in mind...perspective. I'm in the lives of these children for a reason. I can't let circumstances, issues...whatever keep me down. I've got to "bring out the God-colors in the world" which basically means that I need to "stop it." Stop whining, complaining, worrying, letting frustration win. Easier said than done...I guess...but it doesn't have to be. It's all about choice. I need to choose the next right thing as I go throughout my day. Usually that's how I try to roll...but for some reason I've had trouble lately. It's time to remind myself of some words...from Jesus...from Paul. What am I doing?! I best "check myself before I wreck myself"...Ice Cube?

As Paul says below...I need to "Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air...."
Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing.
Philippians 2:14-16

There are a lot of things going on in the lives of my kids and their families. I may be the only smiling face they see or I may provide the only kind words they hear. So...it's time to stop sulking, whining...thinking. I need to get back to what's important...living a life that reflects the change that Christ has made in my life. Why wouldn't I want to share this with everyone I come into contact with?

As I thought about all of this...another song comes to mind. I just purchased the new album "The Bright Sadness" by Charlie Hall. I'm loving it. There's a song on the album titled "Walk This World." It's a perfect fit for a change of mindset, a great reminder.

Walk This World by Charlie Hall
Pre-Chorus:
Broken but singing
Our hearts keep shining

Chorus:
Let my life shine, come and let my heart shine
as we walk the world we lift the bread and wine
Like the stars shine, come and let our hearts shine
In a dark world, we lift the bread and wine



Basically...that's my prayer. Lord, let my life shine, come and let my heart shine as I walk the world. Again...I'm broken but singing...my heart keeps shining.

2 comments:

Lemon Princess said...

As a parent, teacher's like you are a blessing! May God continue to bless you! I pray that you will be the light and salt to these children & fellow co-workers so easily that you stop and think, WOW , why am I not struggling here, then you stop and think...I know Who is allowing this to roll so smoothly! Praying for you! Keep shining!!

fish said...

You are a gift to all that know you, Wade. These children are lucky to have you as their teacher as my daughter and grandaughter are lucky to have you as a husband and father. Just remember that God has you there for a reason. I think maybe it's the light on a hill and salt thing. Keep it up. I am glad that your perspective is better today.