A Fun Summer...

Monday, June 16, 2008


Our little girl is growing up. She'll be two in August. It's crazy, sad, yet awesome all at the same time. She's learning so much with us around...meaning she's not at daycare nor am I teaching right now. What a way to spend a summer eh? Eh...like the Canadians say.

Okay...since she's growing up, we're beginning to get into some discipline issues, since she understands what she's doing and is also testing us. We don't spank and are doing the time-out thing. Our plan is consistency. Her time out only lasts seconds...but she understands that it takes her out of the action. So, I was reading and came across this as I was thinking about Father's day:

Parents, don't be hard on your children. Raise them properly. Teach them and instruct them about the Lord.
Ephesians 6:4


I love how the Bible is full of wisdom...timeless wisdom as well as everyday, practical stuff. My prayer is that I don't screw up and that I'll do right by our little girl. I want our relationship to be healthy. I want to be around. I want to raise her knowing about God...the fact that God loves her and she is God's baby.

Her life before she came to live with us was very different. She was completely alone. She had her social worker, the various nurses, and a foster mom that took care of her. That wasn't her home though. Through that time I prayed that she would be comforted, that God would take care of her. I love that she has the story that she does...a miracle baby that God has some big plans for. I pray that I can guide her along that path.

I pray that this verse from Romans resonates in her life, soul, and her journey....

This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children.
Romans 8:15-16

1 comments:

Jo said...

You are going to be an amazing father. You are turning to God for help and that will make you an awesome father.