And It Hit Me As I Took A Bite of French Toast...

Sunday, June 29, 2008


Don't live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants.
Ephesians 5:17

I'm not a coach anymore. It's sad when I think about it. I got out of coaching primarily because of Sarala. I was gone way too much...the season lasted from October to March...but it's really all year-round because of camps, shoot-outs, tournaments, open gyms, etc. I still get asked about basketball by the local town-folks.

Yesterday morning I talked an older couple about AV girls' basketball as we ate our breakfast...we try and eat breakfast out every Saturday morning. We talked about the upcoming season...they wanted my outlook on things. I told them that we should continue to be successful because we've got a group of hard-working girls. I miss my kids...my team. We then talked about summer plans, Montana, gas...all kinds of things. What an opportunity to reflect Christ's love.

I love the relationships that I've built during my 5 seasons as coach. Parents, spectators, players, colleagues, and others have been supportive and great to get to know. I've decided that I'm not going to let the fact that I'm not on the sidelines anymore sideline what I need to be doing. I'm going to try and continue to build into people, maintain relationships, maintain the connections I've made over the past 5 years.

I've decided that I'm going to go to all the games...all home, most of the road, because the girls' playing the game are "my girls" and also I want to maintain relationships. What an opportunity! I'm trying to stay in tune with what God has got going on...I feel that I was in the position I was for a reason. My knowledge of the game allowed me to work in a position where I could positively influence a group of young people. They became like my kids because we spent so much time together. I'll definitely miss the people part of it...also...the craziness of the game I'll miss too. I can't lie...there's nothing like being 2 points down with seconds on the clock...with the ball on the sideline...running a play to perfection and getting the shot off as the buzzer sounds. Nothing like it.

So...live with some intentionality. The message from church last night coincided with my thoughts about this...gave me Ephesians 5. It's awesome how God does that. Seek God's will and see where it takes you. Get ready for a ride and...enjoy!

0 comments: