How Much Did We Spend...?!

Thursday, June 26, 2008



You've probably said this to yourself at some point..."We'll just run in...just get what we need and get out."

This is Wal-Mart we're talking about.

We decided to stop by Wal-Mart on our way home from Farm-town last night and ended up spending some money. $112 ended up being the damage...which isn't horrible, but it's more than we "planned" to spend.

If you notice...there's a large purple ball in the cart. This is for Sarala. We also picked up some bubble-making thing and some extra bubbles. Now, her stuff only added up to about $17...but everything else adds up. You'll also notice that there really isn't that much stuff in the cart. We got some drinks...Diet Mt. Dew, Sweet Tea, Juice...amongst other various food items. The prices of stuff have really gone up...the price of food to be exact. I was watching the news tonight and it's just depressing...the cost of food and gas going up...they talked about the stock market and how big companies like GM and GE are in trouble. This is exactly why I don't really watch the news. Too much focus on the bad.

So, it's time to focus on what's around us...and how we can affect the world around us.

Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God.
Philippians 2:14-15

Now, Paul is trying to get the people of Philippi pumped up...motivated to keep on "keepin' on." This is just another example of the time-less truth that can be found in God's word. It's up to us to not focus on the news, the economy, the price of Diet Mt. Dew, the price of milk, the price to fill up a vehicle ($50 for the Bravad-o)...etc. It's time to do everything readily and cheerfully...we need to be that breath of fresh air in a world that so badly needs it.

You'll see the effects if you do this...God will work and awesome-ness can occur. We need to provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. He's alive and doing things. We just need to be intentional in how we go about our day...even if we're at Wal-Mart dropping cash like crazy...be joyful. God has blessed us with the ability to do what we do (teach for me) which in turn gives me money (to spend on Diet Mt. Dew). In the words of the late Tupac Shakur..."Keep ya head up!"

Oh, you'll also notice how it seems like I had my camera on me...Yes...I'm trying to always have my camera around so that I can capture the awesome-ness of the experiences happening around me...;)

3 comments:

Blogger_Girl_24 said...

I just wanted to drop in and say how much I love your blog!! You have some really great things to stay!!

~*Blog On!!!*~

~Bloggergirl24

Jo said...

I am so proud of ya.. carrying your camera with you. Thanks again for an awesome post with a great message.

Crys said...

We already look like we are moving out every time we leave the house with all the Sarala gear... now we have the stinkin' camera (joking). No, I am very proud and supportive of all my husband's endeavors!! I have noticed that almost every resent post has mentioned his diet mt dew... Can you tell what he likes to drink?