My Stupid Flip Flops...

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I think that when you get dressed in the morning, you’re really making a decision about your behavior for the day.
Like...if you put on flipflops, you’re saying:
‘Hope I don’t get chased today.’

- Demetri Martin


Or...if you wear flip-flips...you could may also add...Hope I don't have to run through an airport today...;) The trip was pretty awesome overall. The only part that won't qualify as great...but will certainly qualify as memorable...were any of our dealings with the airport...in pretty much any capacity.

We returned home from Montana yesterday. Sarala took a huge nap this afternoon and will hopefully get some much needed rest. Crystal and I just hung out...tried to relax and curb any desire to go anywhere. My body is used to being super busy...thus the time being midnight and all. It is only approaching midnight mountain time. That whole time change thing too...though not a huge change...is still something that I adjusted to being in Montana for 11 days.

Now, the weather in Minneapolis, which is where we connected, was terrible. The plane had to circle for an hour, which made us late for our connecting flight to Montana, and we also had thoughts of..."Is this it?" Seriously though, the turbulence was unsettling and the captain wasn't too reassuring. We had all of 10 minutes to make it from the gates 'G' to a gate 'C'. If that doesn't tell you anything...we had to run! Since I did not anticipate any sort of running...I was wearing flip flops...not the best for running in ANY situation.

A guy in one of those golf cart-type things saw us and picked us up after we had run for a little bit. Imagine carrying a small child + stroller (Crystal), and two carry-on bags (Wade). Wasn't exactly how I wanted to begin the trip. We did make it though...as I am alive typing this and recounting...and we made it to our connection. It was immediate...as I sat down...we taxied out and took off. Then, as we landed in Montana...the stupid door wouldn't open so we couldn't get off...we had to hang for about ten more minutes.

The days between the airport experiences were busy and a B-A-L-S-T. We have a friend to thank for the word balst ;) We arrived to the airport on the way out thinking...small airport...we have plenty of time. We got there an hour early and the security line was HUGE! It turns out that the early morning flights make for busy times in Billings, since a couple planes are all getting out of there within minutes of each other. I stayed optimistic though.

Wouldn't you know that our flight was "closed" as we were in line. Then...we heard the exciting Final Boarding Call...Northwest Airlines flight whatever to Minneapolis! If that doesn't get you going at 6 am?! I happened to be randomly selected and the TSA went through my carry-on. Now, I told Crystal to go ahead without me. At that point...I heard that the plane was leaving in four minutes. The Northwest desk guy asked if anyone else was going on that flight...the only one being me, and he said we had to go. He said that we had thirty seconds. Seriously?! 30 seconds? We ran from there to the plane itself. He carried the stroller and I had my bag. Again...I sat down and we taxied out. So much fun....

Then, our plane from Minnesota to St. Louis was overbooked. I figured at that point...whatever happens...it's all good. We'll just extend the vacation a little longer. We made it home though and it's great to be here. That's about all I can get out right now...the tired is now beginning to affect my thought process and word choice abilities. Time for sleep.

Fun, fun times. We won't be traveling anywhere on a plane for a little bit.

0 comments: