Once again...it's back to ol' reliable...

Friday, June 20, 2008


You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
Matthew 5:5

I had to rely on my 1990 Toyota Camry again this week. We were getting some things repaired on the Bravad-o since it wasn't running so well (trying to make sure we're getting the BEST MPG's). There is a part of me that loves the thing since it's the car I had in college...undergrad...which means I've had it for probably 8 years now. Then, there's the part of me that hates driving it around. Why? Mainly because it's old. Stupid! Especially because it does get far superior MPG's than our Bravad-o does. I can get self-conscious when I drive it...because it can be the oldest car in the parking lot...it depends on where I go. We took it to the city last summer and found that it does get 26 MPG's...not bad for being as old as the graduating class of 2008. It was definitely the oldest car around though...;) I had to fight the desire to feel stupid as we went about our business in the Page Avenue area.

I had to wrestle with being content. I wrestled with it again this week...even today. I do this from time to time...and I do know that I should be content. God has blessed me with so much. It's the worldly stuff that pulls me away from focusing on my blessings and has me focusing on the fact that my car is ultra-old and yeah...I've got the ability to get something new. That's the tough part...but it wouldn't be good stewardship of my funds right now. We're living with only a house payment right now...and finishing up repaying some student loan action. So, we're maintaining the Camry. This way we'll be closer to having the ability to do whatever if God leads us in a certain direction.

This contentment thing can be rough on you. It hit me especially hard this week as Wednesday was payday. I know this seems small and trivial in light of things happening in people's lives...but these are thoughts that went through my head. We went to Wal-Mart in the Camry to load up on essentials. I saw a Wii that I've got the money for. I struggled with not coming out of there with it. I roll old school...the original NES...so it'd be nice to upgrade (I do have an x-box...but it too is a little old;) So...there it is.

It's times like these that God's word can help me refocus my thought-life. The words of Jesus are so right. I want to be content with who I am. God created me the way I am. It's me lining up with how He sees me and how He created me. When that happens, the blessings come and yes...they're usually the stuff that money can't buy...no Wii's. It's in these moments that I enjoy all of the stuff that can't be bought. I look at my baby girl...and just the fact that she's in my life...I'm incredibly blessed. I look at my little house...the fact that I've got a home...I've got a lawn to mow, even if it has to be done with a push mower. I look at my wonderful wife, my job, dog, guitars, abilities, friends, family...the list goes on. Who cares that I've got an 18 year old Camry...it does the job.

1 comments:

Jo said...

Once again an amazing post. Contentment is definately an hard issue for a lot of us. Jesus is definately the answer. Thanks again for sharing your awesome words.