Missing Home...

Tuesday, September 16, 2008




I was checking my e-mail and as I logged out...I saw this flash across one of the windows on the MSN webpage:

The West's top 10 dream towns

Intrigued...I took a look. I figured somewhere in Montana had to qualify...somewhere always does, doesn't matter who's list it is. So...as I perused...I found Bozeman at number 4. I loved living in Bozeman. I'm originally from Billings, MT but Bozeman was my home from fall 1998 to spring 2003. If you do the math...I spent five years there...five years obtaining my bachelor's...yes...five years. I started out declaring a major (don't do it) and ended up not liking it like I thought I would. Engineering...could you see me as an engineer? Hmmm...so somehow...don't really know how...teaching struck me as a possible career. Turns out I've found my calling and I'm now in my 6th year of teaching at AV.

Here's what the MSN list had to say about Bozeman:

4. Bozeman, Mont.

Population: 38,000
Median home price: $299,000

The college town (Montana State University) boasts a picture-perfect setting at the base of the Gallatin Range -- and terrific hiking, fly-fishing and skiing. And a charm-filled downtown. So why doesn't everybody live here? Maybe it's those 14-degree highs in January.


Notice the median home price...I have a friend still lives there that talks the home prices...amazing. I spent a lot of time in schools during my teacher prep that has me wondering...how are these teachers living there with an average starting income of 19,000 a year. Thus...I'm here in MO...well...it's not the only reason...but a reason I'm not in Montana right now. I still have my Montana teaching license though...I maintain that "just in case."

Okay, the point of this post is I'm missing home. Whenever the weather gets like this...it feels like home. Low humidity...cool...perfect for a fire. Also...I'm about to enter a tough season in my professional life. Deadlines, meetings, trying new things...I've got a lot going on in the next month or so. Nothing like the seemingly care-free days of college life. So...if you're ever out west, you've got to go to Bozeman. Go skiing at Bridger Bowl, eat at the Pickle Barrel on College Street, check out the Rockin' R, catch something at the Emerson, get a coffee at the Leaf and Bean, some Moose Drool at Ale Works, head down to Bogart Park, head up to Hyalite... with lot's more to do. Let me know...I may meet you out there. I'm definitely going to make sure Sarala grows up experiencing all the awesome Montana-type stuff...like a yearly ski trip since I'm not coaching anymore...anyone want to go?

1 comments:

Jo said...

I cant ski.. but I loved the trip I took to Montana. It is so beautiful out there. I want to go back and try all the places that you mentioned.