Believing As Opposed to Believing "in"

Sunday, September 14, 2008


I was reminded about a great story this weekend that I haven't thought about in awhile. I guess I shouldn't call it a "story" since it comes out of the Bible. Ol' Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. These were three young men who chose to believe God's truth despite the facts of their situation. They were destined to die...being thrown into a hot, hot fire because they wouldn't bow down and worship a gold image of King Nebuchadnezzar.

They chose to have faith...believing that God will save them, rescue them...not just believing in God and compromising. God came through in a big way that blew minds. Still does. I think about this and compare it to how Crystal and I approached Sarala's situation.

Here we had a baby girl that nobody wanted. We found out about her three days after she was born. The facts were that no one wanted her...she was born 9 weeks premature...she had grade 3 hemorraghe...hydrocephalus...meth in her system...was 2 pounds 8 ounces.

A medical social worker kept emphasizing these facts and tried to talk us out of adopting her because of these things. I don't know how to explain it but I...we...had total peace in our decision to make Sarala ours. At that point I decided to believe that God could heal her...that He would heal her...we definitely thought He should heal her...but if He didn't...we still had peace. She was ours...no matter what.

I prayed...fasted...and started an incredible journey with God that continues to this day. We began to hear of improvements as the days went on. She spent a total of 67 days in the NICU in San Francisco. She then went into a high-risk medical foster until she came to live with us March 8 of 2007. What an amazing time...still is. I'm still blown away by what God has done with Sarala and what he's doing through her. I love it. He honored our faith.

So...when it comes down to it...believe God over the facts. The facts mean nothing in the face of an almighty, loving, indescribable Father

1 comments:

Jo said...

God is so amazing and his awesome power can clearly be seen in your daughter. It is so amazing what happens when we let God be God. Thanks for an awesome post and you were awesome last night at church. I always love hearing you play.