Hitting a Wall...

Monday, September 22, 2008


The title to this post is a figurative statement...I didn't actually hit a wall...even though I felt like I could have at times. Something happened. Life became overwhelming. I hit a point last Friday where I couldn't take it anymore. What is "it" you ask? Well...it can actually be a lot of things when you think about it. My job has been the big it of late.

I'm worn out. I'm fighting hard to maintain the balance of my own life and school life and it feels like I'm losing...getting beat down in the process. School life is bleeding...and I say that because it is...into my out-of-school life. It seems like I can't escape bringing stuff home...thoughts...worries...thinking about classroom management...discipline issues...instruction...the list goes on. I don't get quality sleep because of this. I don't know what it is but this year is wearing me out and we're only six weeks in. This is where Sarala enters the picture...like the one above.

She's been a huge blessing when it comes to disconnecting...taking time to play, read books. I know that I read books during my day...teaching reading and all...but there's just something about your baby girl asking "Daddy? Book?" It doesn't matter what is happening around me...this request stops me every time and that's exactly what we do...read a book. Tonight the book was a Sesame Street animal guessing-game book. It's in those times where I regain a glimpse of what life is about. As I type, I have to give props to a post from another blog that I follow regularly. This hit me...I think I've even blogged about this before.

Life has been crazy but I think I'm managing now...since Friday...not on my own of course but with help. The help comes from a peace that only a heavenly father can provide and from the people he's placed in my life. I'm tired. I'm tired as I type this...but I feel compelled to blog. I'm currently working on some stuff for school while listening to the new Bebo Norman album...self-titled. It's pretty awesome stuff.... The blog post from Perry Noble expresses exactly what I'm feeling...exactly what I needed to be reminded of. I don't talk to God about things like I should. I don't talk to the people around me like I should...letting them in to help. I'm also reminded of the love and peace only he can provide because he's listening. I make time for Sarala regardless of what's happening...he does the same with me. Remembering this makes the craziness in my life smaller and quieter. Amazing....

2 comments:

Jo said...

I will be praying for you. I understand the school thing..I feel the same way. Thanks for sharing and being open with us.

ProfSeeman said...

I think that this can be helpful to you:
Go to: http://www.panix.com/~pro-ed/

If you get this book and video: PREVENTING Classroom Discipline Problems, [they are in many libraries, so you don't have to buy them] email me and I can refer you to the sections of the book and the video [that demonstrates the effective vs. the ineffective teacher] that can help you.

[I also teach an online course on these issues that may be helpful to you at:
www.ClassroomManagementOnline.com ]

If you cannot get the book or video, email me and I will try to help.
Best regards,

Howard

Howard Seeman, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus,
City Univ. of New York

Prof. Seeman
Hokaja@aol.com
www.ClassroomManagementOnline.com