Your Serve...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.
Romans 12:11

I've had some amazing experiences in the past two weeks. Part of those experiences resulted in my having to prioritize a little...to answer the question "What are the important things in life?" So...here I am...winding down from another crazy day in second grade. My desk has a pile of papers on it from the week...all graded...but not recorded. This is due to what's coming next week...a change in how I teach and what I teach.

Enough of that for now...on to what has been on my mind. Service. Service can get to a point where your thought-life says..."I'm tired...there's got to be someone else who can help!" Yes...I understand...I've been at that point. It's in those times when God drops some opportunities on me that have been utterly amazing in scope. I return home thinking..."Wow...I'm sure glad I didn't miss out on that...all because of being tired." Pushing through the tiredness...now hear what I'm saying. You must be wise in choosing how and when to help serve. Don't bring yourself to a point where you're neglecting your family or your own duties and responsibilities. Also...everyone needs rest every now and then. Take time to refuel...read...listen to some good music...eat something different...revel in the beauty of nature.

When it comes to that point...I try to focus on what God has going on...not on the craziness around me. It's those thoughts that can deter you and cause you to miss out on some God-action happening around you or through you. Like Paul says above..."Pray all the harder" in those times.

Is it hard to be "cheerfully expactant?" Yes...life can be rough, but don't quit. Pray...seek help from those around you...keep moving forward. Just because you're a Christ-follower doesn't exempt you from life. Often we have more questions and confusion because God works in His ways...not ours. I'm thankful for that though. Trust that He's holding it down...and remember that He's placed people around you that can provide support and help in times of need. Everyone needs help at some point.

So...don't let life affect your serve.

0 comments: