What Happens to Us?

Monday, November 24, 2008




What happens to us? Where do we lose the awe and wonder of the world around us? When do we start letting the opinions, feelings, and actions of others affect how we look at things?

Crystal said something about me...via Twitter...so I guess she really didn't say anything...but through her post she said something so profound. She basically said that I was myself today for the first time in a long time. Today was different...I was able to smile...laugh...encourage. Productivity happened in the past 48 hours that hasn't happened in months I'd say. School has been killing me lately...as those of you who are close to me already know. I've let it change how I perceive things though...and have grown a little cynical you might say.

The thought "I hate my job" and "I can't do this anymore" actually surfaced and became verbal. This doesn't make sense though because I love what I do and love that I'm blessed with the ability and opportunity to do something I love and get paid for it. Something was up with today though. Today was different...regardless of the fact I didn't get much sleep and was awake in the five o'clock hour. I think that had something to do with it though...the quiet...an opportunity to reconnect with a God who I've neglected.

Life-change is something that I don't get to see a whole lot of since I work with kids...little kids at that. I am just trying to be that loving figure in their lives...trying to impact them in a positive way. Through certain elements in the services at church this past weekend coupled with the local proximity of this type of church here in AV...I was in awe at what God has done...reminded who He is.

Our whole experience with Sarala has been such an amazing journey...one of faith, despair, hope, love, miracles...God. God moved so dramatically through her life and circumstances that everyone around her has been affected. They still are as they learn of her beginnings since she shows no signs of her early set-backs. Seeing the wonder in her eyes as she experiences life is something that I truly find joy in.

That brings me to my question...what happened? What causes the cynicism that affects how we look and interact with the world around us?

I found this G.I. Joe character...the Native American one...at Wal-Mart the other night. I had to buy it. The purchase reminded me of a time when I was a child that couldn't wait to get home from school to play outside...to play with my G.I. Joe's...especially if I had a new one in the mix. The anticipation...the wonder...especially around Christmas is something that I don't allow myself to get caught up in anymore. Why...I really don't have an answer. It seems like the pressures of life, work-life, home-life...providing...the current state of the world...things...whatever...occupy my mind more than the little things. The wonder and awe of a world created by a loving and good God is totally visible in the eyes of the small baby girl who I get to call daughter. The pictures above are amazing. The way God has taken care of this small child...I love that she has this story around her.

So, as I thought about this stuff I figured I'd get into my Bible a little and this is what came up....

God is magnificent; he can never be praised enough.
There are no boundaries to his greatness.
Generation after generation stands in awe of your work;
each one tells stories of your mighty acts.
Psalm 145:3-4
I love this...Generation after generation stands in awe of your work. I look at my life...Sarala's life...we are truly in awe of the work of God in the lives around us...our own...friends...family. There are so many stories. True life-change kills me...tears at my heart. Seeing what Jesus can do to someone keeps me going...gets me fired up.
Your kingdom is a kingdom eternal;
you never get voted out of office.
God always does what he says,
and is gracious in everything he does.
Psalm 145:13
I figured that this is a very timely verse...since we're looking for Change and all. Jesus is the only one capable of true...lasting...ultimate change.
Generous to a fault,
you lavish your favor on all creatures.
Everything God does is right—
the trademark on all his works is love.
God's there, listening for all who pray,
for all who pray and mean it.
Psalm 145:16-18

Yes...I admit I've felt this way about people, that God has been Generous to a fault. That's God though...not for me to worry about...and I am getting better about it. Also...it's all about meaning what you pray...not just talkin' the....prayer?

Yes....

So...I leave you with this. When times get crazy...when all you're thinking becomes negative towards people or circumstances...take some time (like getting up way early because you had to get to school early to finish something...;) and quiet your heart...mind. Listen. Sometimes we talk way too much...to people about people, to God about people...How about we just listen and go from there.

Here's a song from Andy Osenga which talks about the little things in life like...my tiny baby's breathing deeper every day...soon she'll leave her crib forever...I guess it's no coincidence that the title of this song is...you guessed it...Early in the Morning...yes!

3 comments:

Michael Goldsmith said...

Very insightful article Wade...thanks for challenging me. I think I could fill several notebooks with thoughts on "What Happens to Us" but you hit the nail on the head.

I'm glad you had a moment of clarity...I love it when that happens and only wish it would happen a bit more often. But that's the selfish part of me I guess.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Michael Goldsmith said...

Uh...not sure why I said article...that sounded silly! How about insightful "POST" - that sounds better! :)

WB said...

Yes...article...right...;)