Missed Opportunities...

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The ultimate question is, will we take a risk to put a face to the problems we give lip service to?
- Adam Smith, Relevant Magazine


Have you ever been annoyed when someone asks for your help? Maybe it's the inconvenience or the timing...like the end of a rough day at work. You may think...I don't want to deal with this right now.

The truth is though...we all have opportunities thrown in front of us daily that reflect this very thing...empathy from a distance vs. actually helping someone out. I'm afraid...even though I'd like to think I'd be ready to help someone out whenever and wherever...I have been annoyed. This may be where many of us would fall....

Two examples:
Crystal and I were coming back home from a Cardinal's game about two months ago and had to stop and get gas. We ended up doing some shopping at Dierberg's then off to QT we went. As I was filling up, Crystal went inside to get drinks. There was an older gentleman sitting in a vehicle on the other side of the pump. As I finished, he asked if I could help him out with his car. My first thoughts were...I've got another hour to drive, I'm tired.... I ended up saying yes and he told me what was up. He pulled in to get gas and his car wouldn't start back up. He look disheveled...with a elastic tie-down cable being used as a belt. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I figured I'd give it a shot. We checked stuff out...thought I'd try and give his car a jump. We tried it and nothing...nothing. At that point I didn't know what to say or do. I said "Sorry" and since we were at a QT...justified in my mind he'd be alright and off we went.

Now...since it was in Arnold I figured he'd be okay...but again...I assumed because...well...I was thinking about myself.

The other situation involves a family that I've been building a relationship with over the past month. It's been an incredible journey...but I admit there's been times when I've said out loud...Ahhhh, not now...not tonight. Terrible, I know...but yes...I was annoyed as the name came across the caller id. I even didn't answer once.

I've been thinking about this idea lately...of helping those in need. It's easier to write a check to a big organization, let others take care of the big things...like orphans in other countries or AIDS in Africa. What about the people who live immediately around us. Are we aware of the needs around us? Our own communities are filled with needs...and many of us go on with our days unaware or not wanting to be aware.

My challenge to you is...do you put a face to things you give lip service to? The new president isn't going to fix everything that's wrong with our country. Just think what could happen if people started to look out for one another...meet needs instead of waiting for the government or some organization to do it. If one family were to help out another...food...fixing something...just listening. Think about the CHANGE that would happen that way.

So...let's not focus on the missed opportunities...let's try to look for the opportunities that God places in our paths each day, and ACT.

2 comments:

Mel said...

This is definitely something I'm struggling with right now...there is so much more I could do and should do..but I'm not sure how to get started. I don't have the church outlet any longer, but I still feel like there is a way I should be involved. I know where my passion is, I just don't know how to fulfill that. It's a crazy, mixed up world we live in and I want to make a difference in the lives I come in contact with...I think I need to be more intentional about who I come in contact with. If you figure it out can you clue me in? Thanks for sharing (I know that's not always easy), I always enjoy reading your blog...keep sharing and keep thinking those thoughts.

fish said...

We should not be waiting for the goverment to "solve the problems" anyway. We should be doing it. Sounds like your decipilship classes in lifegroup are posing questions and challanges in your heart. Ask the questions, and accept the challanges! You do that and God will provide the situations.