"So What Are You Dying From That's Keeping You From The Finals?"

Thursday, November 20, 2008

There is this scene in the movie Dodgeball that has me laughing every time. I am happy to say that I've come through my first rough patch with the career. I realize that everything won't always go like I would like...I've got to work through those times. Those times are far and few between (what I've been told...and I agree...). I've been working six years now and this is the first time I've been to this point...letting my job drain me like never before. It's not time to quit though...not near enough to get me to quit. I love what I do...truly enjoy it. It's time to take in a little perspective and remember that I get to do what I love and get paid for it.

The scene here in Dodgeball has Lance Armstrong making Vince Vaughn's character feel like total crap for wanting to quit when the times are tough. I love the exchange here:

Lance Armstrong: Hey, aren't you Peter La Fleur?
Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!
Lance Armstrong: Ya, that's me. But I'm a big fan of yours.
Peter La Fleur: Really?
Lance Armstrong: Ya, I've been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can't get enough of it. Good luck in the tournament. I'm really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you're gonna be late.
Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit... Lance.
Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying of that's keeping you from the finals?
Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like... shame.
Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.
There it is..."I'm sure you have a good reason to quit...." Nothing like a little perspective from a movie like Dodgeball...gotta love it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thats what happens when you post a blog for God to pull you out, then some of us start praying for Him to do just that........He even uses movies.............an Awesome Savior we have! You are always in my prayers Wade....I love you!
Nanny