One of "those" books...

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


What was the last book you read?

Thinking back to the last couple books you've read...

are there any that have rocked your world...

changed your perspective?


Every now and then I have a book do that...

a term I hear people use to describe such an experience is

wreck.

"Man...that book really wrecked me."

Wrecked...a good thing.


I think back to the last book that wrecked my perspective...

and then to the things that have happened as a result...

and I'm glad that I encountered those words...

pages...

stories...

the stuff that inspires us to do some of those things...

do...

be...

live
.


The book I'm referring to is

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
by Donald Miller.

If you're looking for a great read...I highly recommend it.


Anyway...the book is about Don.

He is approached by two movie producers that want to make a movie out of his memoir, Blue Like Jazz.

The process of editing his memoir-life into something that would make for an engaging narrative for screen causes him to apply the same edits to his real-life.

Thus...an amazing story...

an example that a life can be rescued from the everyday...

mundane...

and can be directed towards a journey wrought with amazing.


So...how did this affect me?

The book came out in the fall of 2009.

I remember ordering it from a local bookstore in Farmington...

and being really annoyed when it didn't come in on time.

We were in STL a few days after the release and I found it at a Borders.


It was a read that happened in four days. It could've happened quicker, but it was also a busy time with school...basketball...life.

Immediately after I read the thing, I wanted to make some changes.

To make a better story for the life of Wade Buckman.


So...here are some things that actually changed:

1) Started a band...played a benefit for a student with leukemia =

amazing experience, blessed to have been able to help...

looking to do some more with The Hope Endeavor...

Above photo is an awesome reminder of people coming together to help out a family in need.

2) Launching a project to help meet a need in my local community =

a project that I'm the final stages of launching, will make all you of privy to here in the next couple of weeks, since I plan to use the blog and twitter to spread the word

3) Hosting a singer/songwriter houseshow =

also something that I will make privy to those that it applies to in the near future...looks to be awesome

4) Enjoying the everyday experiences of life =

being a husband and father...nothing like it

5) Looking ahead =

starting to dream big about some things...looking into getting some things rolling

6) Losing weight/eating better =

get healthy


I plan to get into these a little more in future posts...

so...

here's to living a better story....

Do you have any examples of positives that have come as a result of your reading of a book?

If so...please share (book/what happened, is happening)....

As an added bonus...Don embarked on a book tour and I got to hear him speak...which has further encouraged me to write a better story for Wade....

1 comments:

Barbara C's Blog said...

Wade, I read the book "The Re-enchantment of Everyday Life" by Thomas Moore. It changed my life by making me stop rushing through everything (being Tpye-A personality, normal). Go give it a read.