Action vs. Thinking....

Friday, October 23, 2009



I think about the type of dad I want to be...and I'm reassured that I am the type of dad I want to be because I act like the type of dad I want to be.

Almost confused myself...wait...what was I talking about?

Oh yes...being a dad...the type of dad I would like to be.

Thinking about being the type of dad vs. actually being that type of dad.

The picture above shows Lala and I...sitting in the chair in our living room. We spend time every night reading a book. I'll read it...then she reads to me. I love her retellings.

Lately the books have included classic children's songs: It's raining, it's pouring...Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...Itsy-Bitsy Spider...and...a selection from my wife's favorites (not really...she describes her disdain for this book on a daily basis)...The Gnome from Nome.

I think about these memories...we read every night...talk...and just enjoy each other's company. We try and do this as a family when we're all home at the same time. We eat dinner...at the dinner table together and talk about our day. Sarala tells us about her kids at the daycare (the kids in her room). It's quite entertaining. I love every minute of it.

These are things that I never experienced and I love that I get to provide them for my daughter.

Here's the thought: I want to be that type of dad...so...I am that type of dad.

So...this thought lingers: Do the things I think about coincide with my actions? If yes...then...YES! If not...then...I should act on it or stop worrying about it.

Now...don't hear what I'm not saying. I'm not saying that I'm the perfect dad...that I've got it all figured out...because I'm not and I don't. I am trying though...and there it is...not just thinking about it...trying...acting...doing....

Until next week....

0 comments: