Remembering...The Wait...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It seemed like time slowed way down while we waited to get everything in order so we could adopt Sarala. Paperwork, home-visits, more paperwork...the state of Missouri working with the state of California...waiting, waiting...and yes...more waiting.

The way most of it worked required us doing things according to this crazy time-line. Deadlines...things that only could happen at certain times. Fingerprints for instance...who knew that fingerprints would/could be such an issue.

I remember Crystal and I having an appointment to get fingerprints done for a background check...scheduled for a week-day afternoon, right after school in Farmington. This was during basketball season so I asked my fellow coach if he would ride the bus with my team to Perryville, which is a hour and a half bus ride one way. I remember racing over there, then racing to Perryville to coach a basketball game...then I rode it back. Wow...what craziness.

I know that we were separated from Sarala for her time in the hospital for a reason...there is no way that I would've been able to leave her if I or Crystal were able to see her. The only knowledge about her came from an occasional discussion with her medical social worker.

Then came the day that Sarala was to be released from the NICU into a high-risk medical foster home. It was early November 2006. She was going to live with a nurse until she came to Missouri...which we were at the mercy of the paperwork and Missouri.

I remember Crystal talking to the foster mom...Laura...and being able to hear Sarala "goo", giggle, and cry in the background. Very weird but it brought tears to our eyes...it was our baby girl.

Then...miss Laura did something awesome...like the neurosurgeon...she sent us a picture of Sarala:


You could see the bald spot from her surgery. She's smiling though...which is amazing considering all that she had been through up to that point. This picture...in addition to the one we received from doctor...were HUGELY encouraging to us. God was doing an amazing work...in and through Sarala. I am changed because of that time...the work...the challenge.

Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life.
James 1:12
The work that God was doing in me was renewing this love for God that grew my faith...prayer-life. I found myself spending a lot of time in the book of James.... Sarala...she was coming to live with us soon...our baby girl.

0 comments: